Register for Central,State and Local taxes

Any business has to register with Central or State departments to obtain a TIN, PAN, workers' compensation, unemployment and disability insurance, etc., as applicable. You may verify the of Procedures for MSMEs listing the permissions, licenses, etc., can be seen at SIDBI website.and list the exact compliances required before proceeding with obtaining them. The World Bank also lists thesefor Starting a business in Chennai.

Some of the important registrations/permissions/ required are:

1. PAN: Every person whose assessable income exceeds the maximum amount which is not chargeable to tax or any person carrying out business or profession whose total sales/turnover is likely to exceed Rs 5,00,000 in a year shall obtain a PAN. Apply online

2. TAN : Tax Deduction Account Number (TAN) is a unique 10 digit alphanumeric code allotted by the Income Tax Department to all those persons who are required to deduct tax at the source of income. It is mandatory to quote TAN on all TDS (Tax Deduction at Source) returns (including e-TDS return) or any TDS payment challan. Apply online

3. Service Tax : is payable by any MSME whose turover exceeds Rs 10 lakhs per annum as per Finance Act 1994 by anyone who renders service on payment. Apply online

4. Excise Duty: is payable by any business which manufactures goods of annual value over Rs 1.5 crores. online for Excise registration.

5. Import Export Code (IEC) : is required of any business that wants to import or export directly. Apply online

6. Customs Duty : is applicable on direct imports by you and the of duty payable can be seen at the CBEC website.

7. Value added Tax : is applicable to any manufacturing unit which produces goods of value over Rs. 5 lakhs per annum OR a trading unit whose annual turnover exceeds Rs 10 lakhs. Apply online for a TIN

8. Proffesion Tax : is payable by an employer to the local body in respect of every employee whose half yearly income exceeds Rs 21,000. See online for Chennai